Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Followup on Homemade Laundry Soap

Well, we've been using the homemade stuff for awhile now and still like it. We've made it easier on ourselves by getting a bigger food processor, one that has the power to take care of the soap. One thing I did start to notice recently was that our towels were starting to smell like mildew. I knew our washing machine had to have the door left open to keep it from smelling that way, but this was getting worse every week, so I had to do some more research to find a solution or else we'd have to replace our towels and likely go back to commercial detergents. Luckily my research gave me something to try and it has worked. The recipe for our detergent is now:


2 cups of grated Fels Naptha soap
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Washing Soda
1/2 cup of oxygen cleaner (like Oxyclean, but we didn't buy the name brand stuff)

It took probably a good half dozen washes to finally start getting the smell out (it was really set in), but in the end we saved our towels and my nose. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment