Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Cream" of Mushroom Soup

My daughter, poor little thing, cannot have dairy. At least not right now, we're hoping she grows out of it. Anyway, as such it was at first very difficult to figure out how to make some of the foods we commonly enjoy in a way that she can actually eat. One of the biggest were casseroles, most of the ones we made required some sort of creamed soup in it to give it the gravy that made it taste better. So, in order to overcome this problem, I created a "cream" of mushroom soup without using any dairy, and, to save some money I didn't use soy milk either.

Ingredients:
Mushrooms (sliced)
Onions (chopped)
Garlic (minced)
Flour
Oil
Chicken Broth (for us, this is made using chicken bouillon)
Seasonings (your choice, salt and pepper for me)

Directions:
To start off I created a rue, the amount was dependant on how much soup I was making, as this would be a large batch I did about 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup oil, the ratio is 1:1, stir this until combined, it doesn't require any heat. My batch used 6 cups of broth, I combined the 6 cups of water with the needed amount of bouillon (follow the package directions) and spices I chose, I put this mixture on medium-high heat, stirring frequently to make sure everything combined properly. Meanwhile in a skillet I cooked the mushrooms, onions and garlic in oil until they were tender. I set these aside in a bowl and then took some of the broth I had been heating up and put it in the skillet. I stirred this until all the little bits that were stuck on the bottom of the skillet were picked up and poured this back into the rest of my broth. I kept the heat high as the broth began to boil and added the mushrooms, etc. to it when it had cooked down about a third of the way. I then allowed this to continue boiling until it was down to about half of what I started with, by this time it was thick like a cream soup should be, I took this and after allowing it to cool I divided it into several containers and froze it. I use this soup instead of the canned Cream of Mushroom soup in the recipes that ask for it (including green bean casserole).

So, you might ask, why is this green? Well, simply because I can make it and control what ingredients I use. There are many types of oil out there, some healthier than others. And I can get reduced sodium chicken broth or make it myself by cooking a chicken (which would be a very fine meal in and of itself). I also get to save some money doing this because I don't have to get anything super special to make it and can wait until mushrooms are on sale to further bring the price down. This whole process didn't take long and I was very happy to have come up with a cheap solution to our daughter's dietary needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment