Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What's For Lunch?

Lunch, it's that tiny meal in the middle of your day. For some people this is an important meal, it means you get to take a break and eat something good that will help you get through the day. For others, well, it's optional and often skipped, kind of like breakfast. The only problem is, breakfast is important too, you really should be eating both.

If I skip these meals in the day it adds unneeded difficulty to it. I'm irritable and can't think. I also feel lazier as the day drags on, I don't want to move from my desk despite the fact that I know I would feel better doing it and I end up watching the clock slowly tick by. I just have no energy or ambition, I also find it hard to focus and think my way through the problems of the day. And though it makes my work day difficult, it makes the moments when I get home much worse than that.

On days that I don't eat properly I am very hungry when I get home, my first goal when I get home is to find food and find it fast. This often leads me to eat the wrong things, cookies and cake and anything else that is already done. For us this is not usually leftovers, those have already been eaten. So I eat all this stuff that, in the end, doesn't really make me feel better either physically or mentally, it just fills my stomach, plus, I didn't enjoy it and I love to enjoy the good things like cake. The next problem with this is that I eat all this food and when dinner is done I don't eat as much of it, but it was by far a much healthier thing to eat, so in the end I went hungry, had a rough, grumpy day and then starved my body of the proper nutrition it needs to keep me going. Oh, and for those parents out there, this also means your kids see you gorging yourself on junk, what do you think they'll be doing when they get older?

So what do I recommend? Take time to eat something, make sure you have breakfast and lunch. It doesn't take long, sometimes only about 5 minutes to eat the food you brought with you, but it gives your body something to work with and keeps you healthier. As far as what to eat? Honestly, try to bring your lunch, the things you buy from a fast food place are terrible for you and won't give you the boost of energy you need to function properly or for very long. Also, I would recommend avoiding sandwiches, especially if you buy your bread pre-made. There isn't a lot of body to sandwiches (unless you make super sandwiches that are loaded with everything) and so they only fill your tummy for a little while, though they are better than nothing. I would say your best bet is to plan dinner with tomorrow's lunch in mind. Make extra of your dinner and bring it with you, at least then you have something good and probably somewhat healthy, plus a hot meal always seems better to me than something cold. Oh, and if your excuse is still that you don't have time, I highly recommend you rethink that. There is almost always time to find a few minutes to do something good for yourself, and you'll probably make up for that lost time by working smarter because you can actually think straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment