Thursday, January 20, 2011

Solio Charger

Sometimes you find things you like, other times you are given things you like. A couple months ago I was given a Solio Classic Solar Charger, I haven't used it as much as I like, but that is mostly because I'm a bit lazy, but thinking about it, this device is great! I have no idea what kind of money I save using it, but I do like the fact that it is doing something for me. This device charges an internal battery using light from the sun, I just stick it in a window and let it sit there when I'm not needing it. Right now, because it is winter, it doesn't charge very fast, it takes a few days to get anything usable for me, so the only thing I charge with it usually is my cell phone. But even one device can make a difference. Each little thing you and everyone else does adds up, we can have a much greener existence if we all do little things. I'm not saying everyone needs to go out and get these little solar devices, but making any little change in your life can make things better for everyone.

My journey with solar is just beginning, since entering into a lease with Sungevity I have been looking more and more into what I can do. I am looking forward to the warm season because I have many things I want to work on, one of the biggest being the yard. My yard is currently a haven for weeds, I plan to change that this year. But I also have a shed that needs some work and my plan is to eventually get a solar powered light in there as well and turn the shed into a workspace for me. I'm looking forward to planting the garden, it uses the sun too. I have ideas and plans and things to try, I'll only get to do a few of them, but I wish I could do more of them. One of the things that I love about this little device I was given is the fact that I, being lazy, have unplugged the charger for my cell phone from the wall. Yeah, that should have been something I normally did, but I didn't. Having unplugged it I know I am saving more energy, those things draw power just by being plugged in, they don't have to be charging anything to cost you money. If I can keep that unplugged and charge my phone only using the solar charger I will be thrilled.

For me, this is more than just a choice, it is a challenge. I want to take some more time this year improving my life, greening it up in ways that I dream of but have not implemented yet and to find new dreams to pursue as well. I don't want to get my solar panels and say, "Great, I've done my part." I want to say, "Wow, look at that, what a great start. Now, what's next on my list?" This solar charger is more than just a neat device to me, it is a challenge to change, to make a difference with my life by making good choices and finding ways to improve it. Oh, how I love finding passion for things, now to fight to keep that passion going.

No comments:

Post a Comment