Friday, January 14, 2011

I Don't Have Time

How often is it that we won't make a change or try something new in our lives because we simply think we don't have time? The fact of the matter is, I'm betting we do have time, we just choose to use it for something else, and often I remember my time being used on pointless things, like video games and television shows. Now, I do still enjoy some time with these, but I also enjoy the time I take to do something good in my life too. It isn't anything life changing I do, sometimes I simply go help make dinner or do a few dishes, it makes the biggest difference to my wife, but I also feel a sense of accomplishment with my evening as well, and I usually still have time to watch a show or play a game afterwards anyway. The funny thing about not having time for something is that when you say you don't have time for it you are really saying that it isn't that important to you. If it were important you would make time, how many people will make sure they're at home to watch a football game or have time to go to a bar with their friends? But they don't have time to make their life better? Any change you make or anything new you try takes some time, you have to learn how to do it, but after a few tries you eventually find that it isn't that hard and the time you spent is worth it in the end.

For us changing our diet was hard, but once we got used to it we found that it was much easier and was worth it. Getting rid of cable was hard, we went stir crazy for a while trying to figure out what to do with our time, but we adjusted to it, we found some new shows to watch when we needed to watch something and we also began to find the joy in watching shows online. Recently we discovered the joy of Netflix and instant streaming of content, now we don't need cable, why would we? We have access to just about anything we would like to watch and everything else is just a matter of time and patience to get access to. These shows aren't so important to us that we must see them right now, we can wait, there are more important things in life to enjoy, such as our time together as a family. If you find that you use this excuse of not having time to improve your life, you might want to ask yourself if that's true and if you really do care about it enough to make time for it. Going green isn't always easy, but it is time well spent, for you, your family and all the other people that share this world with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment